Did You Know?…
- Over 45,00 people in the U.S. kill themselves each year and the numbers continues to grow.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for 15 – 24 year olds.
- 1 out of 5 high school students will consider suicide.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for college students.
- 1 out of 12 college students has a suicide plan.
- More children and young adults die from suicide every year than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke and chronic lung disease combined.
- Every suicide intimately affects 6 other people.
- Suicide has increased 100% in the past two years for ages 10 – 14 year olds.
- For every completed suicide by youth it is estimated that 100 – 200 attempts are made.
- Males are four times more likely to die from suicide than females.
- Females attempt suicide four times more than males.
- In 2003 one out of sixty-five Americans lost someone to suicide.
- In the U.S. 100 teens a week die from suicide.
- More people die from suicide than from homicide.
- 1 out of 4 people diagnosed with bi-polar disorder will attempts suicide.